BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - Kenneth Gleason was arrested on September 19, 2017. He is accused of killing two men and faces additional attempted murder charges.
- Accused serial killer Kenneth Gleason set for arraignment
- Grand jury returns indictments for accused serial killer Kenneth Gleason
- Kenneth Gleason charged with 2 counts of second-degree murder in random shootings
- No arrests in connected BR killings; police aren't ruling out possibility crimes were racially motivated
- Mayor praises BRPD for investigative work after two apparently connected fatal shootings
- Police identify man killed in Alaska St. shooting; 7th BR homicide in 7 days
- Police release identity of man believed to homeless killed on Florida Street
The following is a timeline of events involving accused shooter Kenneth Gleason and the three shootings he is accused of committing.
November 19, 2016 – Kenneth Gleason purchases a 9mm pistol and three different brands of ammunition from a store in Baton Rouge.
July 2017 – Gleason purchases a silencer for the pistol, but it never arrives.
August 5, 2017 – Gleason completes a concealed carry class.
September 11, 2017 – Gleason allegedly shoots at a house in the 5100 block of Sandy Ridge Dr. three times. Two people were inside the home at the time, but were not injured.
September 11, 2017 – A nearby Jiffy Lube employee calls Baton Rouge police and reports he saw a white male in a red car put a gun in the bushes. A gun was never found.
September 11, 2017 – Custom Security calls investigators to report they have surveillance video of a white male in a red car remove the plate from a car and place a gun in the trunk.
September 12, 2017 – Gleason allegedly fatally shoots Bruce Cofield, 59, in the 3400 block of Florida Blvd. Witnesses report to police that they saw a white male in tactical gear with a red car.
September 13, 2017 – Gleason allegedly steals a copy of A Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy from Books-A-Millon on Towne Center Blvd.
September 13, 2017 – Gleason allegedly shoots Donald Smart, 49, ten times on Alaska St. near Smart's employer, Louie's Café. Smart dies at the scene.
September 15, 2017 – The National Integrated Ballistic Information Network reports to investigators that the projectiles found were shot from the same weapon.
September 16, 2017 - An off-duty BRPD officer spots Gleason's car and stops him. Police then take Gleason into custody on drug charges.
September 17, 2017 – Gleason is released on $3,500 bond for the drug charges.
September 18, 2017 – Gleason is arrested on a theft charge in which he is accused of stealing a copy of A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
September 19, 2017 – Gleason is charged with two counts of second degree murder and one count of attempted second degree murder.