Homeowner says lightning sparked fire on Melrose Boulevard

BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - Firefighters with the Baton Rouge Fire Department responded to a house fire Wednesday evening on Melrose Boulevard.

According to BRFD, firefighters arrived on scene around 7:40 p.m. and were told by the homeowners that lightning started the fire. Crews began checking the house for signs of fire and when they opened the door to one of the back bedrooms, they found the room full of smoke.

Firefighters started working in the attic to bring the fire under control. The fire was out just before 8 p.m., but the house suffered heavy smoke damage as a result.

No injuries were reported in this incident.

Copyright 2017 WAFB. All rights reserved.