(WAFB) - The St. George Fire Department says they are experiencing a higher number of building fires this year, and many of them were cooking fires.
To date, St. George has responded to 27 building fires and 11 more cooking fires that were contained either to the pot or the oven and did not spread to the building itself. Of the 27 fires, 7 began in the kitchen with another 5 still under investigation. This roughly correlates with national stats that about one third of house fires start in the kitchen.
While sometimes appliances, wiring, and switches can fail, human failure causes these fires about two thirds of the time. The most common reason for a kitchen fire is a human failure in judgement, attention span, or attentiveness. These fires are not intentional, but are preventable.
Simply taking the time to pay attention can prevent these types of fires and potentially save lives and avoid property damage.