Man accused of killing deputy in and out of legal system

BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - On social media, the man accused of shooting and killing an East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff's Office deputy projected a life as a barber and tattoo enthusiast. Brandon Wiley, 30, shared quotes and occasional events for doing tattoos. His Facebook profile says he's married and expecting a child.

However, court records show Wiley was in and out of the legal system on a variety of charges and accusations.

The oldest charge in Baton Rouge district court was a 2004 arrest for attempted first degree murder. Records show that charge was later d ropped and Wiley instead pleaded guilty to aggravated assault. He was sentenced to 13 months in prison.

Over the next decade, he faced various drug and weapons charges, and in one case, illegally tattooing a minor.

Then in 2010, court records show a disturbing incident. Wiley was accused of inappropriately touching a 10-year-old girl with his mouth. The incident was reported by the girl's mother, who said she was a friend of Wiley and had asked him to take her daughter to Walmart for snacks. The young girl said Wiley lifted her shirt and touched her while they were in the parking lot. He was arrested and charged with incident behavior with a juvenile, and later pleaded guilty to inciting a felony. For that charge, he was sentenced to two years in prison, although records show he would only serve one month in jail before he was released again.

The case at the forefront now involves the alleged rape of a 15-year-old. The incident happened on March 12, 2017. The victim says she met Wiley about a month prior to the incident. According to the probable cause report, he picked the girl up from the mall, took her to another business, gave a her a tattoo, and then raped her.

"The victim was picked up by and transported to another business, where the victim entered and proceeded to use the restroom," states the report. "The victim exited the restroom, at which time he physically grabbed the victim and using the victim's own belt, tied her hands behind her back..."

"The 15-year-old stated that he performed tattooing on her on several occasions all without the permission of her parents," states the report.

Deputies were following up on that report when they found Wiley Saturday night at Classic Cuts salon on O'Neal Lane. The report states the deputies and Wiley struggled, shots were fired, and both Wiley and Sgt. Shawn Anderson were hurt.

Anderson died at the hospital from his injuries. According to Louisiana State Police, Wiley died on from his injuries on Tuesday, March 21.

Copyright 2017 WAFB. All rights reserved.