Family loses everything in house fire

Family loses everything in house fire

BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - Firefighters said a family lost everything after a house caught Sunday morning.

The St. George Fire Department reported it happened on Fleet Drive near Norfolk Drive around 10:15 a.m.

"Cooking breakfast this morning, heard a loud pop," said Andrew Murrell, the homeowner. "My 5-year-old says she sees smoke. Sure enough a few minutes later, there's smoke coming out of the vents and we ran out."

Eldon Ledoux with SGFD said the family of four and its pets made it out safely. No injuries were reported.

"Grab the family and run. After that, it was grab the cat and I was told to go grab the dog," Murrell added.

According to Ledoux, the fire burned through the roof shortly after firemen arrived. He added the flames were contained to the attic and second floor, but the flames essentially gutted those areas.

Officials reported the home and everything inside was lost due to the fire, smoke or water.

Investigators said the fire started in the attic, but they have not yet determined the exact cause.

"Maybe heater sparked; I don't know. We turned on the heater this morning and now, I don't have a house," Murrell explained.

SGFD added EMS and the East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff's Office also responded to the scene to assist.

Copyright 2017 WAFB. All rights reserved.