ASCENSION PARISH, LA (WAFB) - Ascension Parish President Kenny Matassa has been indicted by a grand jury on bribery charges.
Olin Berthelot has also been indicted for his role in allegedly bribing Wayne Lawson to drop out of the Gonzales City Council race. Both men are charged with felony election offenses involving bribery.
Matassa is accused of offering former candidate for Gonzales City Council, Wayne Lawson, cash, a job, and future backing in a parish election if he would drop out of the race.
Wade Petite, who is the owner and editor of the Pelican Post online newspaper, first published audio recordings in which Matassa and local businessman, Olin Berthelot, could be heard offering the alleged bribe to Lawson.
Related stories on the case are listed from newest to oldest:
- La. AG's office responds to request by Matassa's attorneys to have bribery case tossed
- Attorney for Gonzales businessman accused of bribery files motion to have case tossed
- Attorney for Ascension Parish president files motion to dismiss prosecution in alleged election bribery case
- Wayne Lawson tax returns due Wednesday
- Wayne Lawson fails to submit tax returns in Matassa, Berthelot bribery probe
- 9News Investigators: The Matassa Files - exclusive transcripts of bribery probe
- Ascension Parish President Kenny Matassa pleads not guilty to bribery charges
- Ascension Parish Council declares no confidence in parish president Kenny Matassa
- Galvez man launches petition to remove Kenny Matassa from office
- Ascension Parish President Kenny Matassa indicted on bribery charges
- Kenny Matassa remains silent ahead of grand jury hearing
- Matassa grand jury hearing on bribery allegations to continue
- Grand jury hearing case against Ascension Parish President Kenny Matassa
- Ascension Parish President Matassa grand jury likely in February
- AG asked to assist in bribery probe against Ascension Parish President
- Attorney for Ascension Parish president says alleged bribe was a 'loan' for friend
- Ascension Parish president addresses parish council following bribery allegations
- Gonzales City Council speaks about bribery allegations made against Ascension Parish President