BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - Louisiana Senate President John A. Alario, Jr. issued a proclamation calling a special election to fill the District 2 seat vacated by former Senator Troy Brown.
The general election is set for April 29, 2017. Qualifying for the District 2 seat is from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on March 15th, March 16th and March 17th. If a runoff is needed, it will be held on May 27, 2017.
Brown, a Democrat from Geismar, has pleaded no contest to two misdemeanor charges involving physical abuse against his wife and another woman.
Embattled Louisiana State Senator Brown resigned from office last Thursday afternoon, Feb. 16.
- Sen. Troy Brown resigns from La. State Senate?
- Sen. Troy Brown's lawyer files request to block resolution for expulsion
- Sen. Dan Claitor to push for Sen. Troy Brown's expulsion
- THE INVESTIGATORS: Pictures, court documents uncover abuse allegations against State Senator Troy Brown
- Sen. Troy Brown turns himself in to jail Friday evening
- Senator Troy Brown responds to calls for resignation following domestic abuse convictions
- La. State Senator Troy Brown pleads no contest to domestic abuse charges