Vigil held for 5-year-old child who perished in fire

Treasure Garner (Source: Family)
Treasure Garner (Source: Family)
Treasure Garner (Source: Family)
Treasure Garner (Source: Family)
Cedarwood Apartment fire (Source: WAFB)
Cedarwood Apartment fire (Source: WAFB)

BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - A vigil was held Friday evening for a 5-year-old girl who died in a two-alarm apartment fire Tuesday evening in Baton Rouge.

Treasure Garner died in a blaze at the Cedarwood Apartment on Cedarcrest Avenue around 7 p.m.

If viewing on a mobile device, click the link to view a slideshow - http://bit.ly/2l6vaoq

All of the units are connected by an attic space, which contributed to the spread of the fire.

According to officials, Treasure was reported missing from the scene by family members. Firefighters and police searched the complex for her for hours. Relatives said they lost her while trying to escape the fire.

"These responders initiated an aggressive fire attack and performed primary search and rescue operations," said Mayor-president Sharon Weston Broome

Firefighters discovered the girl's body around 11 p.m. Her family was notified by officials before it was released that she was found dead.

"These types of tragic events are made worse by the loss of a child," said Broome. "This is a devastating time for our community and is a stark reminder of the dangers faced by fire crews as they battle to keep our community safe."

The search and rescue process began right after firefighters arrived on the scene, but they had to be pulled from the building because the roof was beginning to collapse, officials said.

They reported about 50 to 60 firefighters were on the scene and included crews from the Baton Rouge Fire Department and the St. George Fire Department.

According to officials, four people were taken to the hospital with minor injuries. They added two people reportedly jumped from a window in order to escape the fire.

The fire was brought under control just before 10 p.m.

Fire investigators believe the blaze was started by an unattended pot on the stove.

Copyright 2017 WAFB. All rights reserved.