(WAFB) - Now is the time for homeowners to make sure the way they heat their homes won't put the home, and the people living inside in danger.
Every eight minutes, the American Red Cross responds to a disaster, and most are house fires. The Red Cross offers the following tips for using space heaters:
- Keep heaters at least three feet away from anything that can burn.
- Never leave a burning fireplace unattended, and use a screen to keep fire and embers in the fireplace.
- Never use a cooking range or oven to heat your home.