Mother saves children in attempted murder-suicide, police say

Mother saves children in attempted murder-suicide, police say
Tyronne Cincore (Source: Family)
Tyronne Cincore (Source: Family)
Glen Oaks Drive near Plank Road in Baton Rouge (Source: WAFB)
Glen Oaks Drive near Plank Road in Baton Rouge (Source: WAFB)

BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - Baton Rouge Police detectives said three children are alive because their mother took a bullet to save them in an attempted murder-suicide shooting.

By some miracle, she survived a vicious attack by her own husband, who ultimately shot and killed himself.

Detectives said shortly after 3 a.m. on Friday, October 28, Tyronne Cincore, 34, pulled out a gun and shot his wife Sereathia, 35, multiple times before he shot and killed himself.

BRPD Sgt. L'Jean McKneely said Tyronne was severely depressed and intended to kill his entire family. However, he said Sereathia somehow stopped him.

"She fought for her life, for her kids' lives in an attempt to save them," McKneely said.

Police said Sereathia was shot three times in the chest, but she is recovering well. Some neighbors expressed shock over the shooting in their quiet neighborhood.

"This kind of stuff doesn't happened in our neighborhood," one resident said.

Their small family home on Glen Oaks Dr. near Plank Rd. fits in with most of the houses on the block. Three freshly carved pumpkins, one for each child who lives there, are ready to greet trick-or-treaters on Halloween. Ralph Guillory, who lives across the street, said the Cincore family decorated their home at sunset on Thursday.

"They were out there putting out the pumpkins on the porch and putting the lights in them on the porch like nothing is happening, you know," Guillory said.

However, what happened several hours later has left neighbors stunned.

"My heart just dropped because I saw the yellow tape and I know what yellow tape is all about. It's very overwhelming right now," Donald Brooks said.

Friends and relatives, some too heartbroken to be interviewed, said they are not sure they will ever truly heal.

"If you would have been here yesterday, you would have never known that would have happened. You would never know," Guillory said.

Other neighbors said they just saw and spoke with the couple Thursday night. Neighbors added the husband and wife lived at the home for about five months and had children.

Officials said the children are staying with relatives until their mother recovers.

Copyright 2016 WAFB. All rights reserved.