BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - The Baton Rouge Area Chamber hosted a forum for six of the candidates running for mayor-president.
The mayoral forum began at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, October 18. The candidates who attended were Smokie Bourgeois, Sharon Weston Broome, John Delgado, Darryl Gissel, C. Denise Marcelle, and Bodi White.
The forum was moderated by Robert Travis Scott, president of the Public Affairs Research Council of Louisiana. BRAC board members are posing the questions.
Panelists included Ann Trappey, current BRAC board chair; Lee Jenkins, incoming BRAC board chair; and Monique Scott-Spaulding, chair of BRAC's Legislative Committee.
The questions posed by the board members were modeled closely on the six issue area outlined in BRAC's election platform.
The top six issue areas identified by BRAC include:
- Improvements on transportation infrastructure to relieve congestion and enhance mobility
- Changes to the criminal justice system that will build trust in law enforcement and effectively reduce crime
- Public education and workforce solutions to develop more quality options and prepare young people for college and career.
- Implement economic growth policies
- Improvements for parish government services to be run more effectively and efficiently
- Implement policies to improve the parish’s physical attractiveness, cleanliness, and "quality of place"
The forum was free and open to the public in the Baton Rouge Magnet High School auditorium.