FRENCH SETTLEMENT, LA (WAFB) - On September 14, the Livingston Parish Sheriff's Office, with assistance from the Ascension Parish Sheriff's Office, the Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office, the Port Vincent Police Department, and the French Settlement Police Department, arrested Brandon Hoover, 36, after a vehicle chase.
"Hoover was wanted by LPSO on felony possession of stolen property charges and was spotted by deputies in the southern part of the parish. When we attempted to stop him, Hoover failed to stop, which started a vehicle pursuit. Hoover was heading northbound on LA Hwy. 16 and pulled off on River Bend Rd. just at the foot of the Amite River Bridge at French Settlement. He drove a short distance and then exited the vehicle. Hoover then jumped into the Amite River and swam to the other side of the river. That's where he was apprehended," said Sheriff Jason Ard.
Hoover was taken to the Livingston Parish Detention Center and booked on the following charges:
- Felony possession of stolen property
- Aggravated flight from an officer
- Resisting arrest by flight
- Aggravated obstruction of a public highway
- Resisting an officer
- Reckless operation of a motor vehicle
- Driving under suspension
- Two counts of possession of sch. 1 controlled dangerous substances
- Possession of sch. 4 controlled dangerous substances
- Felony possession of stolen property (This additional charge of felony possession of stolen property was added after it was learned that the vehicle Hoover was driving and its attached trailer was stolen from Alabama)
Additional charges and holds will be placed against Hoover from other law enforcement agencies in Livingston Parish, in other parishes, and some out-of-state agencies.
The investigation is ongoing.