BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - According to Baton Rouge officials, debris collection teams in East Baton Rouge Parish alone have collected close to the equivalent of debris left from a Category 1 hurricane.
They said as of Tuesday morning, the teams have collected more than 700,000 cubic yards of debris since efforts first began. The debris collection contract shows a Category 1 hurricane results in about 725,000 cubic yards of debris.
Officials also said more than 40,000 cubic yards of debris was collected in East Baton Rouge Parish on Monday alone.
During a press conference held Monday, Sept. 12, officials noted that the estimated total continues to change.
"We now estimate 1.5 and 2.5 million cubic yards of debris will be collected," said Karen Khonsari the director of the city's Department of Environmental Services. "This is an astounding number but one we believe to be accurate based on what we've collected so far and what we see remaining."
There is no estimate at this time regarding how long it will take to finish the collection process.
"We knew that it was going to be a tremendous amount of debris, but I can tell you that every day we revise the estimate," said Chief Administrative Officer William Daniel. "It is very difficult to drive the streets of Baton Rouge and see the amount of debris out there."