(WAFB) - The Louisiana Department of Children and Family Services has received approval from the federal Food and Nutrition Service for additional ZIP codes in previously approved Disaster Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (DSNAP) parishes.
The following locations will be open Tuesday, September 6, through Saturday, September 10, from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. (updates are noted with **):
- Evangeline Parish - ZIP codes: 70515, 70524, 70535, 70554, 70576, 70586 and 70589
- Mamou Recreation Center, 98 Main St., Mamou
- Iberville Parish
- St. Gabriel Community Center, 1400 Gordon S. LeBlanc Dr., St. Gabriel
- Jefferson Davis Parish
- Immaculate Conception Catholic Church, 515 Bryant St., Jennings
- St. James Parish - ZIP codes: 70052, 70071, 70723, 70743, and 70763
- St. James Reception Hall, 2455 Hwy. 18, Vacherie
- St. Martin Parish
- Magnolia Park Recreational Center, 100 N. Main St., St. Martinville
- St. Tammany Parish western parts of ZIP codes 70435 and 70437, and in the immediate vicinity of the Tchefuncte River in 70433
- Magnolia Park Recreation Center District 12, 13296 Hwy 40 in Folsom
- Washington Parish - ZIP codes: 70427 (southwestern tip), 70431, 70438, and 70450
- Hillcrest Baptist Church, 2201 Washington St., Franklinton
- West Baton Rouge Parish
- Louis Mouch Jr. Multi-Purpose Center, 152 Turner Rd., Port Allen
- West Feliciana Parish
- Independence Community Center, 10498 Hwy 965, St. Francisville
To minimize wait times, applicants and anyone who pre-registered for benefits must go to the DSNAP location on the day indicated by the first letter of their last name.
- Tuesday, September 6: A-F
- Wednesday, September 7: G-N
- Thursday, September 8: O-Z
- **Friday, September 9: A-K applicants unable to make prior scheduled day
- Saturday, September 10: L-Z applicants unable to make prior scheduled day
**St. Tammany Parish western parts of ZIP codes 70435 and 70437 will follow the same DSNAP alphabet schedule Tuesday through Thursday of next week, and will serve letters A-Z on Friday, September 9. St. Tammany will NOT have a DSNAP site open on Saturday, September 10.
Applicants may name an Authorized Representative to go to a DSNAP site on their behalf. Authorized Representatives must bring with them to the DSNAP site a picture ID and the picture ID of the applicant/head of household along with a signed statement from the applicant/head of household or an adult household member authorizing them as a representative to complete an application on their behalf.
Accommodations will be made for the elderly and those with disabilities to reduce on-site wait times, but we strongly encourage these residents to name an Authorized Representative to visit a DSNAP site and complete an application on their behalf.
To help expedite the application process DCFS is encouraging residents in all affected areas to pre-register for DSNAP benefits. The pre-registration is not an application for DSNAP. Pre-registration does not guarantee benefits, but is designed to save time, minimize long waits, and prevent applicants from coming to the site only to find out that they do not have the right information needed to apply. Residents will need to go to the parish DSNAP site in which they reside to complete an application and determine their DSNAP eligibility.
The best way to pre-register is online at www.dcfs.la.gov/preregister. However, residents can also pre-register by phone at 1-888-LAHELP-U (1-888-524-3578). The call center will extend its hours on Monday through Friday from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. Hours for Saturday and Sunday will remain at 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Callers will select the appropriate language and then select options 3 and 3.
All pre-registrants will have to provide the following information:
- Name, Social Security Number, and Date of Birth for each household member
- Current address and parish of household
- Monthly income for each household member
- All liquid assets for each household member (cash on hand, checking, savings)
The information will be kept securely on file and will be confidential.
Regular SNAP households DO NOT need to apply for DSNAP. Impacted households that receive regular SNAP benefits in the DSNAP parishes will have additional SNAP benefits added to their Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) cards if they are not already receiving the maximum allotment for their household size.