BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - FEMA officials said the agency is at the half-way point on individual disaster assistance, as of Tuesday evening.
At last check, there have been 130,839 who registered for FEMA assistance. The agency's 1,100 inspectors have completed 50 percent of the applications.
FEMA, along with the Governor's Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness (GOHSEP), encourages applicants who have been denied flood assistance to read the letter carefully. Survivors who have received a letter from FEMA saying they are "ineligible" should make sure to read the letter all the way through to the end to find out why.
"Some applicants are only missing a portion of the necessary information to continue the process," said GOHSEP Director Jim Waskom. "There may be an easy fix if someone did not sign a document or if your application is missing a necessary insurance form. Don't give up on the process. Follow up with FEMA and file an appeal."
Anyone who has questions or wishes to appeal the decision can contact FEMA at 800-621-3362 (711 or Video Relay Service available) or 800-462-7585 (TTY).
FEMA has also opened up 22 disaster recovery centers across south Louisiana, as of Wednesday, Aug. 31. The centers will be open from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. every day until further notice. The centers are at the following locations:
- Abbeville: Old Health Unit, 401 S. St. Charles St.
- Amite: Amite City Office Complex, 721 S. First St.
- Baker: Baker Council on Aging, 3334 Jefferson St.
- Baton Rouge: Celtic Studios, 10000 Celtic Drive
- Baton Rouge: New Hope Baptist Church, 5856 Greenwell Springs Rd.
- Baton Rouge: Second Baptist Church, 914 North Acadian Thruway
- Baton Rouge: St. Louis King of France Catholic Church, 2121 North Sherwood Forest Drive
- Breaux Bridge: Veterans Home, 800 Veterans Drive
- Central: Central City Hall, 13421 Hooper Road
- Clinton: Early Learning Center Gym, 9414 Plank Road
- Denham Springs: North Park Recreation Center, 30372 Eden Church Road
- Eunice: Word Ministries, 1960 West Laurel Avenue
- Gonzales: Lamar Dixon Expo, 9039 South St. Landry Ave.
- Greensburg: St. Helena Environmental Health Unit, 53 N. 2nd St.
- Hammond: Former Parish Tourism Building, 42271 S. Morrison Blvd.
- Lafayette: 301 W. University Ave.
- New Iberia: The Iberia Parish Fire Protection District Training Center, 2417 Darnell Road
- New Roads: False River Parking Lot, 1200 Major Parkway
- Springfield: American Legion Hall, 26200 Highway 43
- St. Francisville: Independence Community Center, 10494 State Highway 965
- St. Gabriel: East Iberville Gym, 3265 Highway 75
- Zachary: Zachary Men's Club, 5746 Rollins Rd.
Survivors may locate other centers near them by visiting fema.gov/disaster-recovery-centers, calling the FEMA Helpline at 800-621-3362, or downloading the FEMA mobile app.