(WAFB) - The Louisiana Department of Children and Family Services has received approval from the federal Food and Nutrition Service for additional ZIP codes in previously approved Disaster Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (DSNAP) parishes.
NOTE: If you are in Livingston Parish and need to apply in person for DSNAP benefits, the Springfield site, located at Amvets Post 68, 26890 Hwy 42, is larger and has more computers available. Because of that, that site has been serving people faster than the site in Walker. State officials say they are working to get more computers and staff at the Walker site.
The following locations will be open Monday, August 22, through Saturday, August 27, from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. (updates are noted with ** ):
- East Feliciana Parish ZIP Codes 70722, 70730, 70748, 70761, 70777, 70789, and 70791:
- Early Learning Center, 9414 Hwy 67 (Plank Road), Clinton
- Iberia Parish ZIP Codes 70518, 70528, 70552, 70560, 70563, 70582**, and 70592:
- South LA Community College, 908 Ember Dr., New Iberia
- Livingston Parish (all ZIP codes):
- Amvets Post 68, 26890 Hwy 42, Springfield
- Judson Baptist Church, 32470 Walker North, Walker
- Pointe Coupee Parish ZIP Codes 70715, 70732, 70747, 70749, 70753, 70755**, 70756**, 70757**, 70760, 70762**, and 70783:
- Pointe Coupee Multi-Use Facility, 1400 Major Parkway, New Roads
- St. Helena Parish (all ZIP codes):
- Greater Turner Chapel AME, 875 Turner Chapel Rd, Greensburg
- St. Landry Parish (all ZIP Codes**):
- Southeast Community Center, 101 City Avenue, Eunice
- Yambilee Building, 1939 W Landry St., Opelousas
- Tangipahoa Parish (all ZIP Codes**):
- Eagle Heights Community Church, 47318 Rufus Bankston Rd., Tickfaw
- Vermilion Parish (all ZIP Codes**):
- First Baptist Church, 210 N. St. Charles, Abbeville
To minimize wait times, applicants and anyone who pre-registered for benefits must go to the DSNAP location on the day indicated by the first letter of their last name.
- Monday, August 22: A-D
- Tuesday, August 23: E-K
- Wednesday, August 24: L-R
- Thursday, August 25: S-Z
- Friday, August 26: A-K applicants unable to make prior scheduled day
- Saturday, August 27: L-Z applicants unable to make prior scheduled day
Applicants may name an Authorized Representative to go to a DSNAP site on their behalf. Authorized Representatives must bring with them to the DSNAP site a picture ID and the picture ID of the applicant/head of household along with a signed statement from the applicant/head of household or an adult household member authorizing them as a representative to complete an application on their behalf.
Accommodations will be made for the elderly and those with disabilities to reduce on-site wait times, but we strongly encourage these residents to name an Authorized Representative to visit a DSNAP site and complete an application on their behalf.
To help expedite the application process DCFS is encouraging residents in all affected areas to pre-register for DSNAP benefits. The pre-registration is not an application for DSNAP. Pre-registration does not guarantee benefits, but is designed to save time, minimize long waits, and prevent applicants from coming to the site only to find out that they do not have the right information needed to apply. Residents will need to go to the parish DSNAP site in which they reside to complete an application and determine their DSNAP eligibility.
The best way to pre-register is online at www.dcfs.la.gov/preregister. However, residents can also pre-register by phone at 1-888-LAHELP-U (1-888-524-3578). Beginning Monday, August 22, the call center will extend its hours on Monday through Friday from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. Hours for Saturday and Sunday will remain at 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Callers will select the appropriate language and then select options 3 and 3.
All pre-registrants will have to provide the following information:
- Name, Social Security Number, and Date of Birth for each household member
- Current address and parish of household
- Monthly income for each household member
- All liquid assets for each household member (cash on hand, checking, savings)
The information will be kept securely on file and will be confidential.
Regular SNAP households DO NOT need to apply for DSNAP. Impacted households that receive regular SNAP benefits in the DSNAP parishes will have additional SNAP benefits added to their Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) cards if they are not already receiving the maximum allotment for their household size.
- East Baton Rouge
DSNAP Phase Three will be from Monday, September 5, to Saturday, September 10, for following parishes:
- Jefferson Davis
- St. Martin
- West Feliciana