Fire Investigators: Cooking fire destroys duplex apartment - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

Fire Investigators: Cooking fire destroys duplex apartment

Source: WAFB Source: WAFB
BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) -

Fire investigators said a cooking incident was to blame for a fire that destroyed an apartment early Wednesday morning.

The St. George Fire Protection District reported the call for a fire on Manchester Avenue, which is off O’Neal Lane, was received just before 12:15 a.m.

Eldon Ledoux with SGFPD said those living in the duplex said the smell of smoke woke them up and they found the kitchen on fire.

He added responding firemen reported arriving on the scene to find flames throughout the first floor of the duplex and spreading to the second floor.

According to Ledoux, the five people inside at the time made it out safely, but the apartment is considered a total loss, with damage estimated at $125,000. The fire is considered accidental.

Ledoux reported one firefighter was treated on the scene by EMS due to heat-related issues.

He added the East Side Fire Department, East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff’s Office, along with EMS, assisted at the scene.

Copyright 2016 WAFB. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly