'Our hearts go out to the people of Baton Rouge' - people around the globe respond to officer shooting

President Comments On Officers Killed In Baton Rouge

BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - People from around the globe are responding to the officer shooting in Baton Rouge. Many have expressed their condolences and prayers.

President Barack Obama offered his statement:

I condemn, in the strongest sense of the word, the attack on law enforcement in Baton Rouge. For the second time in two weeks, police officers who put their lives on the line for ours every day were doing their job when they were killed in a cowardly and reprehensible assault. These are attacks on public servants, on the rule of law, and on civilized society, and they have to stop.

Vice President Joe Biden said the following:

I join President Obama in strongly condemning today's targeted attack on law enforcement in Baton Rouge that killed three police officers and wounded three others. It's despicable. It's cowardly. And it's an attack on our very way of life and rule of law.

Attorney General Loretta E. Lynch:

I have been briefed on the ongoing situation in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and I will continue to monitor events throughout the day. Although information about this morning's incident is still coming in, we do know that at least three officers are feared dead and several others are wounded.  Agents from the FBI and ATF are on the scene, and the Department of Justice will make available victim services and federal funding support, and will provide investigative assistance to the fullest extent possible.

Governor John Bel Edwards released this statement:

This is an unspeakable and unjustified attack on all of us at a time when we need unity and healing. Rest assured, every resource available to the State of Louisiana will be used to ensure the perpetrators are swiftly brought to justice. For now, I'm asking all Louisianans to join Donna and me in praying for the officers who were involved and their families as the details continue to unfold.

U.S. Attorney General Walt Green states:

Our hearts and prayers are with the families of the fallen officers and those officers who were wounded in this horrific incident. Today's attack is truly despicable. We will devote whatever federal law enforcement resources are necessary to ensure that justice is served.

Lieutenant Governor Billy Nungesser released the following statement:

Prayers and peace are needed right now in our State's capitol. Our community has been through a very tense two weeks and the shooting this morning is another horrible act of violence against the men and women in uniform here in Baton Rouge and across the nation. I ask all Louisianians to pray for those officers still fighting for their lives and the families of those we've already lost. Unity, not division, is needed right now.

U.S. Senator Bill Cassidy:

We grieve for our community and for the families of the police officers shot today. Our police deserve respect for the difficult job they do—they have been putting themselves in danger to protect the constitutional rights of those who wish to protest. We must support law enforcement and bring these perpetrators to justice. Our civil society is being threatened. There is division and we can see that. We are all Americans, now is the time to come together.

Louisiana Law Enforcement Officer's Memorial:

Today I join many officers and community members across the nation in grieving the loss of three Baton Rouge Law Enforcement Professionals who gave their lives in the line of duty in what appears to be another assassin on our nations police officers. The Louisiana Law Enforcement Officer's Memorial extends our heartfelt condolences to the Baton Rouge Police Department, the East Baton Rouge Sheriffs Office, and to the family members of
Officers Matthew Gerald, Montrell Jackson and Deputy Brad Garafola.

Texas Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick issued this statement:

In the last 2 weeks, over 20 officers were either killed or wounded by gunmen who shot them just because they were police.

Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings and Police Chief David O. Brown released this statement:

Reports out of Baton Rouge this morning of three officers killed and others wounded are deeply disturbing. This must stop. Violence against our police officers under any circumstances is not acceptable and poses a grave threat to all of us. Those peacefully protesting police across the country must swiftly condemn this type of violence against law enforcement.

F. King Alexander, LSU president, released this statement:

This morning, regrettably, our city lost several officers of the Baton Rouge Police Department and East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff's Office in the line of duty. Several other officers were injured. Our thoughts are with those officers and their families, as well as their fellow officers who are responding to this tragedy.

Les Miles, LSU head football coach, tweeted this:

My heart hurts for Baton Rouge and what's happened in our community over the past couple of weeks. My thoughts and prayers are with the families of those officers who lost their lives or were injured today in what was a senseless act. I continue to pray for peace, compassion and civility as our city mourns during this extremely sad time for Baton Rouge.

Livingston Parish President Layton Ricks had this to say:

I have watched with great sadness and unease the recent events involving law enforcement in Baton Rouge and subsequently Dallas. Until yesterday, I had a sense of distance and security from the events happening in other communities. Yesterday, that sense of safety dissolved as Livingston Parish residents fell in the line of duty. Now our community has directly felt the grief and anguish of this upheaval.

Sen. Bodi White offered these words:

As a former law enforcement officer in Baton Rouge, my heart is heavy. Baton Rouge lost three of its finest. A person driven by evil and hatred killed three brave police officers in cold blood and wounded three more, one critically.

Fire Chief Ed Smith on behalf of the Baton Rouge Fire Department had this to say:

On behalf of the 600 women and men of the Baton Rouge Fire Department I wish to offer our most sincere condolences to the Jackson family, the Gerald family, the Garafola family, the Baton Rouge Police Department, the East Baton Rouge Sheriff's Department, as well as to the citizens of this community that we call East Baton Rouge Parish.

Marjorie Esman, executive director of the ACLU of Louisiana, says:

We were deeply saddened by yesterday's attacks on police officers in Baton Rouge. Our sympathies go out to the loved ones of the officers who were killed and wounded. They did nothing to deserve that heinous attack. They were simply doing their job: protecting the people of Baton Rouge. We condemn all violence towards the police. Such acts serve only to further damage the fragile relationship between the police and the people of Baton Rouge. We hope that in the coming days, the community can at last begin to heal.

The La. Legislative Black Caucus (LLBC) had this to say:

This unnecessary loss of life, has left the city of Baton Rouge and our entire state with heavy hearts. We mourn with the families of the police officers who lost their lives and hurt with those families of the officers injured due to this devastating tragedy. State Representative Joseph Bouie, Jr., Chairman of the LLBC, says, 'We are deeply saddened by the killings and injuries that occurred on Sunday. As a community we must unite and demonstrate our value for life of all people regardless of race, class, gender or socioeconomic status.'

Tangipahoa Sheriff Daniel H. Edwards released the following statement:

With all the pain and suffering we've experienced over the past few days, I would like to take a moment to express my extreme appreciation and gratitude to all law enforcement, first responders, and their families. This is a very trying and critical time in law enforcement and it touches us in many ways and with many emotions. Together we share in the pain and suffering over the loss of our fellow law enforcement officers. This pain is felt deeply and it is one that transcends all boarders and boundaries.

Officer Cameron Mitchell says:

When law enforcement refers to each other as family, those aren't just words. We often spend more time with one another than we do our parents, spouses and children. We share the best of times together when we help save a life. We lean on one another when we see the worst of society. We laugh together in the good times, cry together in the sad times and we fight side by side together. When one of us dies in the line of duty, it hurts every bit as much as it does when an actual family member dies. We lost 3 family members today and their sacrifice will never be forgotten.

D.R. Figueroa, retired LA County Police, offered these words:

Even after 5 years of leaving the beat, I still got the sick, sinking feeling one gets when one learns of the fellow brother (or sister) gets shot or killed in the line of duty. I feel your continual reporting brought comfort during this trying time, and was especially touched by the readings from 2 of the fallen officers social media postings. Even from California, I felt like part of the Baton Rogue community while watching your coverage.

100 Black Men of Metro Baton Rouge released this statement:

The 100 Black Men of Metro Baton, LTD is once again, saddened and troubled that citizens of the City of Baton Rouge, this time policemen, have lost their lives through random and reckless shootings and killings.  We pause to pray for the families of the slain officers and those wounded.  We continuously pray for the entire city.  It is our collective prayers that will begin to provide the tolerance, humility and patience needed to get us through these troubled days.

Warrick Dunn, former NFL running back, says:

My heart breaks for the families and law enforcement officers in Baton Rouge who have lost loved ones. I have been in similar shoes - it will change their lives and leave them reeling with questions for years to come. It is a shame - so many officers who are out there on the front lines have tremendous heart for what they do. These acts of violence don't solve anything and if my voice can add to the movement to stop it - then I'd consider that a good thing. I struggle emotionally to understand why and how police officers are being targeted in the way they are.

Bishop Cynthia Fierro Harvey says:

There are simply no words for the tragedy and situation this Sunday in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
What does one say when people's lives have been turned upside down?
Once again, we find ourselves crying out for peace in our city, our country and the world. Now
more than ever, we are in need of healing.
Istanbul, Nice, Dallas, Minneapolis and our own Baton Rouge, again.

Tangipahoa Parish Government employees and Parish President Robby Miller:

Our team felt very strongly that we wanted to do something to help, and although it's not much, we decided to cook a meal to send to the department," Miller said. Flags across much of the area remain at half-mast in memories of the lives lost in the recent days of unrest in Baton Rouge and across the country.

Bishop Robert W. Muench of the Diocese of Baton Rouge released the following statement:

Words cannot express the emotions we feel for those who have lost loved ones in the tragic
events of this day. Their entire lives have been unexpectedly and terribly turned upside
down. In visiting this afternoon with two of the families affected by these shootings, Fr.
Tom Ranzino and I shared prayer and support in the midst of their shock, horror and grief.
Prayer is a powerful path to follow when tragedy happens, but even the most devout of us
sometime question: "What good could come of this?" Only the Word of God has the answer
to the questions that shake our faith: The answer is our Lord Jesus Christ. In Jesus, hope
ultimately triumphs over despair; love ultimately triumphs over hate; and resurrection
ultimately triumphs over death. Standing firmly on the pillars of these eternal truths, we
look to his words of promise in the Sermon on the Mount, and we recall two beatitudes that
speak to the hope we should hold, especially today: "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they
shall be called children of God," and "Blessed are they who mourn, for they will be
comforted" (Mt. 5: 9, 4). We renew our call for a diocesan-wide week of prayer and fasting
as we reflect on the events of the last several days, and as we work toward a lasting peace
in our communities.

Quinyetta McMillon had this to say:

We are disgusted by the despicable act of violence today that resulted in the shooting deaths of members of the Baton Rouge law enforcement.

Jeremy Paul Avants says:

As a disabled Veteran who has been to war in the middle east.... My thoughts and prayers to all law enforcement I will always back you. Thank you all.

Nabil from London offered these words:

As an American living in London, UK. I am deeply saddened to watch in the news what has happened in our country, the dreadful attack on the Law Enforcement Community of Baton Rouge, LA. My thoughts and prayers are with the families who have been affected by this horrific act. My best wishes also to those Police Officers who have been left injured for a speedy and full recovery. I send my respect to the Baton Rouge people and their leaders for the dignified way they are behaving in response to this terrible event.

Jesse Miles from Gloster, MS adds:

Gloster, Ms. is praying for Baton Rouge, we are praying for you, and the Baton Rouge PD. Officer Retired Jesse Miles Sr.

Jeremy from Lexington, KY says:

I'm a native Mississippian that lives in Kentucky now. I'm here in Baton Rouge for work for a couple of weeks. Our nation & world has become so hateful! I pray that we heed the words of two men who were peacemakers. "A house divided against itself cannot stand." President Abraham Lincoln. "Peace is not merely a distant goal that we seek, but a means by which we arrive at that goal." Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Prayers for love & peace to Baton Rouge & the world!

Daevad Tajkowski from Sarasota, FL offered his thoughts and prayers:

I live in Sarasota, FL.

Kalie Baugess of North Carolina sent this message:

I'm watching the live news feed on your website and I'm in NC. As a niece of a now retired police officer I grew up with fears of my aunt dying when there was news of officers in danger, I know the fears of children within a family directly connected to these situations. My prayers and thoughts to go out the men and women in uniform and also to their families.

Travis Sheppard says:

As a police officer in Missouri I can not imagine what the officers, their families both law enforcement and immediate family is going through, and I have to sit here and wonder how my family would react or feel.

Mr. Blinn from Nova Scotia had this to say:

We are watching and our hearts go out to the people of Baton Rouge from the Canadian Rescue Co-ordination Center in Halifax Nova Scotia.

Dennis Matthew from India says:

We in India are taught how law and justice is always upheld in the western society, we especially look up to US in this regard and now looking at this live feed of things unfolding in Baton Rouge after all that happened earlier - our heart goes out to your great nation. From all of us well wishers from this part of the world.

Joe Macini from Kansas says:

My heart, prayers and thoughts go out to the officers of my home town. I am serving here in Fort Riley, Kansas but want so badly to be home to support the officers and my family there. Keep doing your duty blue and I pray for both the civilians and officers that this will come to a quick resolution and swift justice. Thank you WAFB for the live feed so I can stay aware of what's going on back home. We must come together as a people, not as blues or blacks or whites, we must come together as a strong people we are of Louisiana. My heart stays in Louisiana and Baton Rouge especially, I love you mom and dad stay safe.

Claudia Guth says:

As I have watched and listened to yet another tragedy unfold, I have been praying for all the officers and families involved. It also occurred to me that prayer is needed for the suspects and their families as well. God is the only one who can change the hearts of HIS creations and prayer is our only means, as humans, of invoking that change. Praying for those intent on doing wrong is the best way I can think of to bring peace.

Brian Harrison in London had these words to share:

Watching your live broadcast in London. My heart goes out to all in your city, the public, law enforcement, first responders and to all at WAFB. I really feel for you all at this difficult time. It really saddens me to again turn on the news and hear of another shooting in the US specifically against law enforcement. I pray peace comes to you all soon.

Ryan Guy says:

I pray for our city and the men and women in law enforcement. Thank you wafb for keeping us updated.