BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - Authorities said they will not seek the death penalty against the two men accused of being involved in the kidnapping and murder of a Baton Rouge couple.
District Attorney Hillar Moore said the decision not to seek the death penalty was the decision of the Duplantier's family. Moore added he commends their (family's) courage and strength to make that decision in light of the circumstances.
Ernesto Alonso, 42, and Frank Garcia, 48, are both charged with two counts of first-degree murder and two counts of second-degree kidnapping.
Denis Duplantier, 71, and his wife, Suzanne, 70, were found bound and beaten to death in their truck that was parked at the Petro truck stop on Southwest Railroad Ave. in Hammond late in the evening on Oct. 19, 2015. The case was initially investigated by the Hammond Police Department.
Investigators soon learned that the murders possibly happened at the couples' home on Highland Road in Baton Rouge. They believe the two were killed the night before their bodies were found.
Officials later revealed that the couple had a safe in their home and it was opened and emptied.
The Duplantiers, known as Bubbie and his wife Suzy, had been married for 48 years. The Baton Rouge couple comes from a family which dates back to the founding of Baton Rouge.
"This couple really loved each other, loved their family, their children, but most importantly loved their grandkids," said Moore in a prior interview.
The case is assigned to 19th Judicial District Court Judge Anthony Marabella and will head back to court in November 2016.