Cooking fire injures 1, causes significant damage to home - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

Cooking fire injures 1, causes significant damage to home

(Source: WAFB) (Source: WAFB)
BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) -

Officials said one person was injured and a home was badly damaged after a cooking fire early Wednesday morning.

The Baton Rouge Fire Department reported it happened on North Stevendale Road, which is off Florida Boulevard between Central Throughway and the Amite River, around 2 a.m.

Curt Monte with BRFD said the fire was caused by grease left cooking on the stove. Reports indicated six people were inside the home at the time of the fire.

"One of the residents stated she turned on the grease and went into another room," Monte said in a written release.

Monte also said the woman later saw smoke and realized the kitchen was on fire.

According to officials, firefighters were able to keep the flames contained to the kitchen and the rooms next to it, but smoke caused damage to the rest of the house.

BRFD said EMS treated one of the people living at the home for smoke inhalation. Investigators said the victim was treated at the scene.

Officials estimate about half the home was damaged. Red Cross was notified to assist the family.

Copyright 2016 WAFB. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly