BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - Louisiana Pet Pantry is holding a raffle to benefit animal rescue groups across south Louisiana. The non-profit supplies dog and cat food to 30 local shelters and animal organizations.
Lori D'Arensbourg, president of the Northside Humane Society, said the free food helps cover one of her organizations biggest expenses. She brought a rescue dog named Betty to the WAFB studio as an example of the animals they help.
Betty is believed to have been used as a "bait dog" in a fighting ring. She's recovering from large gashes and bites on her face and torso. Betty was found wandering in a yard in East Feliciana parish.
Raffle tickets supporting Louisiana Pet Pantry are $5 and can be bought by calling (225) 344-7781. The drawing will be held June 17, 2016 at 3 p.m. The money raised will go toward the shipping costs of getting the food to local rescue groups, according to Pet Pantry's website.
Here are the prizes:
- Grand Prize: One-week stay at a home in Lake Toxaway in the Blue Ridge mountains of North Carolina
- 2nd Prize: A two-day, two-night stay at a Gulf-front condo in Orange Beach, Alabama (two bedroom)
- 3rd Prize: A 20"-by-24" inch portrait of your pet by artist Simon Baxter (a $650 value)
- 4th Prize: $150 gift certificate to Best Buy
- Other Prizes: Five one-hour Tennis Lessons with Cheryl Hawkins; $100 Walmart Gift Card; $50 gift certificate; One Year Supply of Air Filters