OGB lawsuit delayed after continuance granted - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

OGB lawsuit delayed after continuance granted

(Source: WAFB) (Source: WAFB)
BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) -

A lawsuit filed against former Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal and the Office of Group Benefits has hit a bump in the road. 

A continuance was granted in district court Monday afternoon because the attorney that represented the state has been removed. Jimmy Faircloth is no longer involved with the case, so the new attorneys need more time to learn about the suit in order to move forward.

Filed on behalf of a group of state employees, teachers and retirees, the lawsuit claims changes the Jindal administration and the OGB made to health plans last year were unlawful and created more financial hardships when trying to get medicine and other healthcare. 

The administration has said the changes it made were to protect the group's reserves.

There are six plaintiffs, who represent 230,000 former and current state employees, that said the rates on their benefits were raised without proper notification.

Some of the plaintiffs said they are frustrated by the delay, but they are optimistic moving forward.

"One of the things that I hope we get out of this is that state employees learn to fight back, band together and fight back,” said retired state worker Rebecca McCarter.

“It is a little frustrating that it’s taken this long to get going, but I understand with politics that that’s something that will happen," said Marilee Cash, a retired employee. "We look forward to seeing a quick resolution." 

Judge Janice Clark issued a scheduling order.

Attorneys will meet on Thursday to discuss further proceedings. 

Copyright 2016 WAFB. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly