BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - Officials said an accidental fire caused by the homeowner leaving food unattended while cooking left a house heavily damaged Wednesday morning.
The Baton Rouge Fire Department reported it happened on Bon Crest Avenue around 10:45 a.m.
Mark Miles with BRFD said the elderly homeowner told investigators he left the food unattended and the next thing he knew, the kitchen was on fire. He added a neighbor helped the man out safely.
Officials said the home has heavy fire and smoke damage.
The Red Cross was called to help the family.