BRFD: Cooking fire causes heavy damage to home - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

BRFD: Cooking fire causes heavy damage to home

Source: Baton Rouge Fire Department Source: Baton Rouge Fire Department
BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) -

Officials said an accidental fire caused by the homeowner leaving food unattended while cooking left a house heavily damaged Wednesday morning.

The Baton Rouge Fire Department reported it happened on Bon Crest Avenue around 10:45 a.m.

Mark Miles with BRFD said the elderly homeowner told investigators he left the food unattended and the next thing he knew, the kitchen was on fire. He added a neighbor helped the man out safely.

Officials said the home has heavy fire and smoke damage.

The Red Cross was called to help the family.

Copyright WAFB 2016. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by Frankly