BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - A day after investigators said the former warden of Angola was cleared of any wrongdoing, he scheduled a news conference to discuss the matter, but ended up not saying much about the investigation.
Burl Cain spoke on the lawn of the Louisiana State Capitol at noon. Cain said after learning about the planned news conference, his attorney advised him not to answer any questions about the investigation.
Cain advised journalists to check their sources before reporting on issues because those sources could have ulterior motives.
He also said he could have continued working on the job he loved, but is enjoying retirement.
Cain, who resigned last year after more than 20 years at the prison, was investigated by Louisiana State Police, the Inspector General's Office and the Department of Public Safety and Corrections after allegations of policy violations.
Investigators said allegations of wrongdoing by Cain are not supported by the facts presented during that investigation.
Cain served as warden at Angola for two decades. He announced his resignation on December 9, 2015. His last day was Dec. 31, 2015.