BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - An investigation into allegations of policy violations by former Angola warden Burl Cain has come to an end.
Burl Cain, who resigned last year after more than 20 years at the prison, was cleared of any wrongdoing following investigations by the Louisiana State Police, The Inspector General's Office and the Department of Public Safety and Corrections.
Investigators said allegations of wrongdoing by Cain are not supported by the facts presented during that investigation.
"I knew this was going to be the outcome all along because I knew I hadn't done anything wrong," Cain said.
James LeBlanc, the secretary of the Louisiana Department of Public Safety and Corrections, first announced the investigation at a news conference on Friday, December 18.
"I would like to thank Louisiana State Police and the Office of Inspector General for their professionalism handling the investigations outlined in the reports. Their diligence is greatly appreciated," said LeBlanc in a written statement Tuesday. "Over the next few weeks, the Department will proceed with the recommendations outlined in the memo from DPS&C Undersecretary Bickham as well as consider the recommendations of the Office of Inspector General."
During the December news conference, Col. Mike Edmonson with the Louisiana State Police said that LSP investigators, as well as investigators from the Inspector General's Office pulled records, time sheets, and other documents from Angola to look into the allegations.
"There were some other dynamics in there too and part of that was that Secretary LeBlanc told me that he wasn't going to be re-appointed if I didn't resign and so I felt like I was getting bad press, which may be causing this governor some embarrassment," Cain said. "So therefore, I really laid the job down for the secretary so he could be re-appointed because we needed to keep all our programs going and that was the reason.
"I never ran from the investigation. I've been investigated before. I knew the outcome would be fine. I have civil service protection. Politically, I don't think they wanted me there. I didn't think the governor did or anybody else so therefore it was why I went on and resigned."
"Burl Cain's service to the state of Louisiana is widely known and well recognized. His claims have no merit and the state is ready to move past him," Edwards said in a statement Tuesday night.
Cain served as warden at Angola for two decades. He announced his resignation on December 9, 2015. His last day was Dec. 31, 2015.
Click the links below to read the reports from the different state agencies concerning their investigations: