BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - Fire investigators have made an arrest in connection with a blaze that destroyed a vacant house and damaged a restaurant Sunday.
The Baton Rouge Fire Department reported Charles Oby, 65, was booked on charges of simple arson and criminal trespassing. Bond has not been set.
Officials said the fire started at a house on Perkins Road near Essen Lane just before 5 p.m. It was right next to a Burger King.
According to the probable cause report, a witness said he saw Oby toss gasoline on a lit barbecue pit on the porch of the vacant house because Oby was trying to cook a steak. The report added the witness asked Oby to stop, but Oby reportedly continued and the house eventually caught fire.
Reports indicated the house was engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived on the scene.
BRFD reported the heat from the fire caused some damage to an overhang on the restaurant, but firefighters managed to prevent further damage.
The home is considered a total loss.