Officer injured in deadly shooting released from hospital

BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - The second officer injured in a deadly shooting Saturday morning has been released from the hospital.

The Baton Rouge Police Department identified the officers as Theodore Smith III and Sean Garic. Officials said Smith was hired in August 2011 and Garic was hired in February 2013. Both are patrol officers. One officer was released from the hospital Sunday, the other was released Monday evening.

According to police, suspect Calvin Smith, 22, of Baton Rouge died at the hospital Saturday night. They reported he was shot earlier in the day after shooting two BRPD officers after a vehicle chase that ended on Fairfields Avenue.

The chase started just after 5:30 a.m. Saturday when one of the officers responded to a damage to property disturbance call in the 5600 block of Monet Drive. When the officer arrived at the scene, he and Smith reportedly got into a verbal exchange before Smith allegedly fled the scene in a 2013 Dodge Avenger. Police said a second officer arrived at the scene during the chase.

According to officials, the chase ended when Smith pulled over the vehicle in front of his home in the 5600 block of Fairfields Avenue. They said Smith then got out of the vehicle and fired at the officers with a large caliber semi-automatic assault rifle.

Investigators said both officers were shot but managed to return fire and hit Smith. After the officers were shot, they collapsed in the front yard of Smith's home. Other responding officers rushed them to the hospital.

Smith was taken to a hospital by EMS where he was rushed into surgery. He was listed in critical condition and later died as a result of his injuries Saturday night. District Attorney Hillar Moore said he believes the shooting was justified after reviewing dashcam footage from the incident. The video footage is expected to be released next week.

According to police, Smith's criminal history consisted of being arrested for possession of marijuana, illegal carrying of a weapon, DWI, sexual battery, contributing to the delinquency of juveniles, second degree battery, and cruelty to juveniles. At the time of the shooting, he was on probation. His probation was scheduled to end Aug. 18, 2016.

Criminal History

Smith was arrested on March 14, 2011 on the charge of Illegally Carrying of a Weapon with a Controlled Dangerous Substance (felony). He pleaded guilty to Judge Trudy White to an amended charge of first offense possession of marijuana, misdemeanor. He was sentenced to six months bench probation with special conditions of remaining arrest free, maintain a full time job, attend 12 AA meetings, complete 12 hours of community service, forfeit the two weapons that were seized during his arrest. Article 894 was granted, which means this charges was allowed to be expunged from his record.

On February 10, 2012, he was charged with first offense possession of marijuana. The case was assigned to Judge Trudy White. Formal charges from the District Attorney were filed on April 9, 2012. He pleaded guilty on Feb. 05, 2013 and was sentenced to 90 days in prison. He was given credit for time served and was placed on unsupervised probation for six months with special conditions of remaining arrest free, drug free and attend nine AA meetings. He also had to complete 12 hours of community service. All conditions were met and the case was closed on Feb. 27, 2014.

On January 6, 2013, Smith was initially charged with possession of marijuana, alprazolam and possession of a firearm with a controlled and dangerous substance. According to the probable cause report, Smith was driving down the wrong side of the road and nearly hit a police unit headed in the opposite direction. When the officers walked toward the vehicle, they saw Smith immediately reach down towards the floorboard near his feet. Officers smelled marijuana and saw a fully loaded .32 cal 7 shot revolver on the driver's floorboard of the vehicle. After his arrest his case was assigned to Judge Trudy White and he was formally charged on March 12, 2013 with possession with intent to distribute Schedule IV, illegal carrying of weapons and first offense possession of marijuana. A co-defendant was also arrested in the case and his charges were dismissed. Charges for PWID and illegal carry were dismissed on Aug. 20, 2013. Smith pleaded guilty to possession of marijuana. He was sentenced to 30 days and was given credit for time served. He was never released on bond, so he remained in jail from date of arrest to release date

On March 31, 2013, Baton Rouge Police officers were called to the 9700 block of Airline Hwy. where Calvin Smith was in the driver seat of a vehicle. The vehicle was in drive and his foot was on the brake. Smith was asleep behind the wheel, according the probable cause report. He told officers he smoked "15 to 20 marijuana blunts" before operating the car. Officers learned he had a suspended driver's license. He was charged with DWI, reckless operation and driving with a suspended license.

On July 19, 2013, Smith was charged with sexual battery after being accused of having a sexual relationship with a 13-year-old girl. He told police he knew the girl was 13 and continued to sleep with her, according to the probable cause report. The case was assigned to Judge Trudy White. Formal charges from the District Attorney were filed on Aug. 27, 2013. Smith pleaded guilty on Aug. 18, 2014 to amended charge of cruelty to juveniles. Smith's original bond information included a charge of contributing do delinquency of minors. He was sentenced to two years of supervised probation with conditions. He was supposed to complete 24 AA or MA meetings, get a full time job, complete 60 hours of community service, complete effective decision making class, and have no contact with the family of the victim. Article 893 was deferred, which meant the charge would be removed from his record when the rules of his probation were complete.

On April 4, 2014, Smith was arrested and charged with second degree battery. According to the probable cause report, Smith punched and kicked a man repeatedly. On Aug. 18, 2014 the victim saw Smith and called police. Smith was taken into custody and he admitted to police he punched and stomped the victim several times until the victim was unconscious.

On August 18, 2014, Smith was charged with second degree battery, but the charge was amended. The case was assigned to Judge Richard Anderson. Formal charges were filed against Smith on Sept. 11, 2014. Charges were dismissed on Feb. 24, 2015.

Copyright 2016 WAFB. All rights reserved.