BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - Some changes have been made to popular bus routes in Baton Rouge.
Officials with the Capital Area Transit System (CATS) said the changes range from expanded hours to more buses on the routes and will go into effect Sunday, January 31.
CATS was able to make these improvements after eliminating two underperforming routes, the O'Neal Park and Ride and the Downtown to Mall of Louisiana Express routes, at the end of 2015.
"Adding additional capacity to some of our most-used routes will allow us to better serve our customers," said CATS CEO Bob Mirabito. "We know, based on their responses to customer satisfaction surveys, that timeliness of buses is one of their top concerns. These new enhancements will help improve that."
The following routes will have either additional bus hours or buses:
- Route 12 – Government Street/Jefferson Highway
- Route 17 – Perkins Road/Mall of Louisiana
- Route 47 – Highland Road
- Route 54 – Airline Highway North/Southern University
The Downtown Airport Express will have expanded hours from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Once the newest route changes are in place, the organization will look into making the following route changes:
- Route 16 – Capitol Park Shuttle: Improve bus frequency by 10 minutes to every 30 minutes
- Route 18 – LSU/Cortana Mall: Minor schedule changes.
- Route 44 – Florida Boulevard: Route change to shorten trip times.
- Route 72 – Florida Boulevard Limited: Route change to shorten trip times.
For more information about the new CATS service changes, schedules or route information can be found on the CATS website or by calling 225-389-8282.