Paperwork issues delay release of 2nd Marksville officer accused of killing 6-year-old

Paperwork issues delay release of 2nd Marksville officer accused of killing 6-year-old
Derrick Stafford, Norris Greenhouse (Source: LSP)
Derrick Stafford, Norris Greenhouse (Source: LSP)

MARKSVILLE, LA (WAFB) - After sitting in jail more than two months, the second officer accused of shooting and killing a 6-yr-old boy in Marksville will soon bond out of the Avoyelles Parish Jail, according to his attorneys.

Jonathan Goins and Chris Lacour are representing Derrick Stafford, 32. Lacour said Stafford's family has secured the required $1 million bond, but the holdup now is some paperwork issues. Lacour said he expects his client to walk out of jail by this week's end.

Documents regarding Stafford's release have been filed under seal, meaning they are not public, unless a judge lifts the seal.

Stafford is charged with one count of second degree murder and one count of attempted second degree murder.  Stafford and Norris Greenhouse Jr. are accused of shooting and killing Jeremy Mardis, 6, and shooting his dad Christopher Few, who did survive.

Greenhouse Jr. bonded out Nov. 24, 2015 after Judge William Bennett granted a motion allowing his father, Norris Greenhouse Sr., an Avoyelles Parish assistant district attorney, to bond out his own son. The family put up $1 million worth of property to secure the bond.

The two were arrested Nov. 6, 2015, just three days after officials said the two officers shot at Few and his vehicle about 18 times.

Because Goins said his client and family could not make the required $1 million bond, they asked Judge Bennett if he would consider reducing his bond twice. The judge denied the request both times. So since Nov. 6th, Stafford has been in a jail cell, going between Avoyelles Parish jail for court hearings and then back to the Rapides Parish jail, where he was being held for Avoyelles Parish.

But now, Stafford's family has secured the required amount, but continue to wait on paperwork issues to be settled before they can actually bond him out of jail.

Investigators have said there is no evidence that Few had a gun on him to shoot back at officers, indicating it was only the officers shooting towards Few and his son. Officials have said the body camera video, that has not been released to the public yet, shows Few stepping out of his vehicle with his hands up.

According to both officers' affidavits, "Mr. Few and his son were struck by multiple gunshots fired by the deputy city marshals. Mr. Few was critically wounded by two gunshot wounds. Mr. Few's six-year-old son received five gunshot wounds and was pronounced dead at the scene."

On the body camera, just seconds into it, the affidavit said it shows, "…Christopher Few's empty hands are raised and visible when gunfire becomes audible."

When the Louisiana State Police began its investigation into the guns used, the affidavit said troopers found "all spent casings recovered at the scene were fired from the duty weapons of Deputy City Marshals Norris Greenhouse Jr. and Derrick Stafford."

Earlier in Jan., both officers pleaded not guilty at their arraignment hearings.

The trial date for Stafford is scheduled for Sept. 26, 2016 and Greenhouse Jr. is set for Nov. 28, 2016.

Copyright 2016 WAFB. All rights reserved.