Overloaded extension cord causes house fire, $40,000 in damage - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

Overloaded extension cord causes house fire, $40,000 in damage

BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) -

Baton Rouge fire officials say an overloaded extension cord sparked a fire that burned a house down Sunday afternoon.

The fire happened at about 3 p.m. on 4816 Gus Young Avenue. The Baton Rouge Fire Department says firefighters arrived on scene to find smoke coming from the front of the house.

The fire started in the living room and spread to throughout the house.

Firefighters were able to knock the fire down in about 15 minutes after arrival.

The fire caused $40,000 worth of damage. BRFD officials are calling the home a total loss.

Copyright WAFB 2016. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by Frankly