WALKER, LA (WAFB) - A little love from man's best friend can go a long way.
In the case of 74-year-old Christine Hudson, it also means a second chance to enjoy more days with Sandy, her 8-year-old Peekapoo.
On Wednesday, a cleaning crew gutted Hudson's bathroom four days after her Walker home was nearly lost in an electrical fire.
"It started up there. Sparks fell down on all the linens, the towels, and then it came out into the bathroom," said Deron Carnley, Hudson's son.
Hudson said the fire also nearly took her life. She said the fire did not wake her up around 2 a.m. Saturday while she was home alone.
She could not hear the smoke alarm in the hallway over the noise of her sleep apnea machine, but Sandy did.
"She clawed me on my neck and she started, like howling," said Hudson. "I said, 'Maybe she needs to go outside, maybe she's sick.' So I got up and when I opened my bedroom door, I head this [noise] and the house was just horribly full of smoke."
Firefighters arrived within ten minutes.
Hudson and Sandy escaped with their lives and each other.
"She led me out that house because I didn't know where that door was," said Hudson.
The experience is prompting the family to ask all seniors to turn to pets, not just for company, but also for an extra set of senses.
"If it had not been for her, I would have never made it out, never," said Hudson.