The Investigators: Affidavits released after Marksville officers indicted provide more details about shooting

The Investigators: Affidavits released after Marksville officers indicted provide more details about shooting

MARKSVILLE, LA (WAFB) - The two Marksville police officers accused of killing a 6-year-old boy were formally charged with murder and attempted murder in Avoyelles Parish on Thursday.

After reading the grand jury's decision, Judge William Bennett said he was dismissing the gag order, meaning some documents previously kept from the media have now been released and give more insight into what happened the night of the shooting.

The newly released arrest reports for both Norris Greenhouse Jr. and Derrick Stafford detail the timeline of events on November 3 around 9:15 p.m. in Marksville. It states Greenhouse started pursuing Christopher Few's 2000 Kia Sport. From there, two more Ward 2 city marshals joined in the pursuit. They were identified as Lt. Jason Brouillette and Stafford. Sgt. Kenneth Parnell, who was working for the Marksville Police Department at the time, heard the call over the radio and responded. It is also when he turned on his body camera that recorded the entire scene.

Their affidavits state when everyone reached the dead end of Martin Luther King Drive, Greenhouse and Stafford got out of their cars and "...discharged their duty weapons towards the 2000 Kia Sport vehicle. The vehicle, Mr. Few and his son were struck by multiple gunshots fired by the deputy city marshals."

"Mr. Few was critically wounded by two gunshot wounds. Mr. Few's six-year-old son received five gunshot wounds and was pronounced dead at the scene," it also stated.

The body camera captured 13 minutes from that night...just 26 seconds in, it shows "...Christopher Few's empty hands are raised and visible when gunfire becomes audible."

When Louisiana State Police started its investigation into the guns used, troopers found "...all spent casings recovered at the scene were fired from the duty weapons of deputy city marshals Norris Greenhouse and Derrick Stafford." Also, when Parnell was interviewed by investigators, "...he stated he didn't fire his weapon because he didn't fear for his life."

"The whole case is a tragedy," said John Sinquefield, first assistant of the Office of the Louisiana Attorney General. "I think the grand jury showed up and they did their job and they made the decision."

Sinquefield is prosecuting the case from the attorney general's office. It took an Avoyelles Parish grand jury about three hours to return true bills against both Greenhouse and Stafford, something Cathy Mardis said proves her grandson's death was not in vain.

What has the past month been like for you?

"It's been pure hell," Mardis responded. "I can't explain what it's like to bury your 6-year-old grandchild."

The victim's grandmother cried in court as the judge read the grand jury's decision. She said that's exactly what she wanted.

"My heart exploded with happiness. It's kind of bittersweet to hear it read out loud because this confirmed what was going on," Mardis explained.

She added she purposely wore her grandson's favorite, a Ninja Turtles t-shirt. The little boy's dad, Chris Few, testified before the grand jury. The big gash across his forehead serves as a constant reminder of that night for Few. He is pleased with the decision.

Greenhouse is already out on a $1 million property bond. Alex Higgins is representing him.

"Next court date for us should be the arraignment and we look forward to receiving the evidence to be able to present a vigorous defense," Higgins said. "Mr. Greenhouse is looking forward to finally telling his side of the story."

Jonathan Goins is representing Stafford, who remains jailed in Rapides Parish because, according to Goins, he cannot afford the $1 million bond. The attorney has filed a motion to get his client's bond reduced.

"I don't think that the charges support a $1 million bond," Goins said. "Mr. Stafford is a trained police officer who has been on several police forces."

As for the other two officers that night, Brouillette and Parnell, both are back working for the Marksville Police Department. The attorney general's office said it does not anticipate any criminal charges against them and does not expect to file any more indictments in this case.

A request was made to the attorney general's office for the body camera video, but officials said it is part of the evidence and the request was rejected.

If viewing this story on a mobile device, click the link for additional information, including the newly released documents and all of the previous stories -

Copyright 2015 WAFB. All rights reserved.