BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - The second suspect accused of kidnapping and killing a Baton Rouge couple is now back in the Capital City.
The Baton Rouge Police Department reported Frank Garcia, 48, of Hollywood, Florida, has been booked into the East Baton Rouge Parish Prison. He is charged with two counts of first-degree murder and two counts of second-degree kidnapping.
"From here, the case is still under investigation," Cpl. Don Coppola with BRPD said. "As far as Mr. Garcia, the judicial system will play its part. We believe he is some type of friend with Alonso. Don't know any connections to the Duplantiers."
According to the Broward County Sheriff's Office, Garcia left a Florida jail early Tuesday morning. Garcia was taken into custody on November 18, 2015 in Broward County.
His arrest warrant said investigators linked Garcia to the kidnapping and murders of Denis Duplantier, 71, and his wife, Suzanne, 70, after police say they found some of the stolen items at his Hollywood, Florida home.
Investigators also say they found a vehicle registered to Garcia and license plate trackers show the vehicle coming into Baton Rouge on October 17 and leaving the Capital City the next day, the time of the murders.
Ernesto Alonso, 42, of Baton Rouge, did not waive extradition when he was arrested in Hollywood, Florida shortly after the kidnapping and murders of the Duplantier's. After Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal requested that Florida Governor Rick Scott issue a warrant for Alonso's return, officials received word they were able to pick him up in Florida as soon as possible. Alonso has to be picked up from the Broward County Jail no later than December 4, 2015.
The Duplantier's were found bound and beaten to death in their truck that was parked at a truck stop in Hammond late in the evening on October 19. Their home on Highland Road had been broken into the night before and officials say a large amount of money was missing out of the safe.
Investigators with the Baton Rouge Police Department said Alonso was a handy man for the Duplantiers. He was staying on their property and was sometimes an employee of the victims, according to the arrest warrant.
Alonso was brought back to Baton Rouge on December 4, 2015. He has been charged with two counts of first-degree murder and two counts of second-degree kidnapping and is being held without bond.
Prosecutors have not ruled out pursuing the death penalty.