Suspect in Duplantier double murder now in custody of La. author - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

Suspect in Duplantier double murder now in custody of La. authorities

Ernesto Alonso (Source: WAFB) Ernesto Alonso (Source: WAFB)
Ernesto Alonso (Source: WAFB) Ernesto Alonso (Source: WAFB)
Ernesto Alonso (Source: Broward County Sheriff's Office) Ernesto Alonso (Source: Broward County Sheriff's Office)
Frank Garcia (Source: Broward County Sheriff's Office) Frank Garcia (Source: Broward County Sheriff's Office)
Denis and Suzanne Duplantier (Source: Facebook) Denis and Suzanne Duplantier (Source: Facebook)
BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) -

The man accused of kidnapping and killing a Baton Rouge couple is back in Louisiana.

Ernesto Alonso, 42, of Baton Rouge, was arrested in Hollywood, Fla. shortly after the kidnapping and murders of 71-year-old Denis Duplantier, and his 70-year-old wife Suzanne. Alonso was transferred to Louisiana authorities in Florida at 3:24 a.m. Eastern.

Alonso, who is charged with two counts of first-degree murder and two counts of second-degree kidnapping, originally refused extradition from Florida.

"We had to get a warrant signed and the governor assisted us with that. We delivered all that information down to Florida and then from there he was brought back," said BRPD Cpl. L’jean McKneely.

In October, Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal officially requested that Florida Governor Rick Scott issue a warrant for Ernesto Alonso's return.

While being transferred to East Baton Rouge Parish Prison, Alonso spoke to the press in Spanish, insisting that he is innocent.

"He’s not talking much. He has his attorney, which is his right," said McKneely.

The Duplantiers were found bound and beaten to death in their truck that was parked at a truck stop in Hammond late in the evening on October 19. Their home on Highland Road had been broken into the night before and officials say a large amount of money was missing out of the safe. 

Investigators with the Baton Rouge Police Department said Alonso was a handy man for the Duplantiers. He was staying on their property and was sometimes an employee of the victims, according to the arrest warrant.

A second suspect in connection to the murders of the Duplantiers was arrested November 18 in Hollywood, Fla. Frank Garcia, 48, was taken into custody by the Hollywood Police Department. He faces two counts of first-degree murder and is awaiting an extradition hearing.

His arrest warrant said investigators linked Garcia to the kidnapping and murders after police said they found some of the stolen items at his Hollywood, Florida home. 

Investigators also said they found a vehicle registered to Garcia and license plate trackers show the vehicle coming into Baton Rouge on October 17 and leaving the Capital City the next day, the time of the murders.

Alonso will appear before a judge on Monday morning for a bond hearing. The indictment process could take several months.

Baton Rouge District Attorney Hillar Moore said the death penalty is still on the table.

Copyright 2015 WAFB. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly