Fire starts in clothes dryer and causes significant damage to ho - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

Fire starts in clothes dryer and causes significant damage to home

File Photo File Photo
BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) -

A family was able to safely escape when their home caught fire Tuesday morning, but the flames and smoke caused significant damage.

The Baton Rouge Fire Department reported it happened on Ridgemont Drive, which is near Park Forest Middle School, around 8 a.m.

Curt Monte with BRFD said investigators determined the fire started in the clothes dryer. 

He added the flames spread throughout the utility room and into the back foyer before firefighters could get them under control.

Officials estimate the fire caused about $45,000 worth of damage.

The Red Cross was called out to help the family of four.

Copyright 2015 WAFB. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly