Second suspect in Duplantier double murder waives extradition - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

Second suspect in Duplantier double murder waives extradition

Frank Garcia (Source: Broward County Sheriff's Office) Frank Garcia (Source: Broward County Sheriff's Office)
BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) -

The second suspect accused of kidnapping and killing a Baton Rouge couple is not fighting extradition and will be brought back to Louisiana as soon as possible.

Frank Garcia, 48, was taken into custody on November 18, 2015 in Broward County Florida. He faces two counts of first degree murder.

His arrest warrant said investigators linked Garcia to the kidnapping and murders of Denis Duplantier, 71, and his wife, Suzanne, 70, after police say they found some of the stolen items at his Hollywood, Florida home. 

Investigators also say they found a vehicle registered to Garcia and license plate trackers show the vehicle coming into Baton Rouge on October 17 and leaving the Capital City the next day, the time of the murders.

Ernesto Alonso, 42, of Baton Rouge, did not waive extradition when he was arrested in Hollywood, Florida shortly after the kidnapping and murders of the Duplantier's. After Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal requested that Florida Governor Rick Scott issue a warrant for Alonso's return, officials received word they were able to pick him up in Florida as soon as possible. Alonso has to be picked up from the Broward County Jail no later than December 4, 2015.

The Duplantier's were found bound and beaten to death in their truck that was parked at a truck stop in Hammond late in the evening on October 19. Their home on Highland Road had been broken into the night before and officials say a large amount of money was missing out of the safe. 

Investigators with the Baton Rouge Police Department said Alonso was a handy man for the Duplantiers. He was staying on their property and was sometimes an employee of the victims, according to the arrest warrant.

Once Alonso is back in Baton Rouge, he will be charged with two counts of first-degree murder and two counts of second-degree kidnapping. 

Prosecutors say when both men do finally get back in Louisiana, they have not ruled out pursuing the death penalty. 

Copyright 2015 WAFB. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly