Suspect in murder of Baton Rouge couple closer to being brought - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

Suspect in murder of Baton Rouge couple closer to being brought back to Louisiana

Ernesto Alonso (Source: Broward County Sheriff's Office) Ernesto Alonso (Source: Broward County Sheriff's Office)
Frank Garcia (Source: Broward County Sheriff's Office) Frank Garcia (Source: Broward County Sheriff's Office)
BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) -

The man accused of kidnapping and killing a Baton Rouge couple is closer to being back to Louisiana following a warrant from the governor's office.

Ernesto Alonso, 42, of Baton Rouge, did not waive extradition when he was arrested in Hollywood, Florida shortly after the kidnapping and murders of 71-year-old Denis Duplantier, and his 70-year-old wife Suzanne.

In October, Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal officially requested that Florida Governor Rick Scott issue a warrant for Ernesto Alonso's return. Officials with the Baton Rouge Police Department are expected to pick up Alonso as soon as possible. 

A memo from the Broward County Jail states Alonso "is ready for immediate pickup on your governor's warrant." 

The Duplantier's were found bound and beaten to death in their truck that was parked at a truck stop in Hammond late in the evening on October 19. Their home on Highland Road had been broken into the night before and officials say a large amount of money was missing out of the safe. 

Investigators with the Baton Rouge Police Department said Alonso was a handy man for the Duplantiers. He was staying on their property and was sometimes an employee of the victims, according to the arrest warrant.

Once Alonso is back in Baton Rouge, he will be charged with two counts of first-degree murder and two counts of second-degree kidnapping. He will be picked up from the Broward County Jail in Florida no later than December 4, 2015.

A second suspect in connection to the murders of the Duplantiers was arrested November 18 in Hollywood, FL. Frank Garcia, 48, was taken into custody by the Hollywood Police Department. He faces two counts of first-degree murder and is awaiting an extradition hearing.

His arrest warrant said investigators linked Garcia to the kidnapping and murders of Denis Duplantier, 71, and his wife, Suzanne, 70, after police say they found some of the stolen items at his Hollywood, Florida home. 

Investigators also say they found a vehicle registered to Garcia and license plate trackers show the vehicle coming into Baton Rouge on October 17 and leaving the Capital City the next day, the time of the murders.

Prosecutors say when both men do finally get back in Louisiana, they have not ruled out pursuing the death penalty. 

Copyright 2015 WAFB. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly