VERDUNVILLE, LA (WAFB) - One person was taken to the hospital and several homes along Bayou Teche in Verdunville were evacuated more than two hours due to a small chlorine leak Monday morning.
The St. Mary Parish Sheriff's Office reported it happened on Lake Road at the St. Mary Parish Water District plant just before 10 a.m. Deputies said the leak was contained before 12:45 p.m.
Officials said a plant employee was taken to the hospital because he was directly exposed to the chemical. His name was not released. His condition is unknown.
People living on Parish Road 131 from Wayne Road to Franchine Road in Verdunville were told to leave their homes. They have been allowed to return.
SMPSO said Louisiana State Police Hazmat is investigating the incident.