Parent banned from son's school, accuses school of using cruel d - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

Parent banned from son's school, accuses school of using cruel detention method

Foreman's son reenacting what she said he had to do during recess detention. (Source: Amanda Foremen) Foreman's son reenacting what she said he had to do during recess detention. (Source: Amanda Foremen)
(Source: WAFB) (Source: WAFB)
DENHAM SPRINGS, LA (WAFB) -

Some parents in Denham Springs accuse their elementary school of using an obscure and what they call "torturous" version of recess detention. 

"Me and my husband are banned from the school until the end of the school year," said Amanda Foreman, a parent at Northside Elementary School. 

Foreman said a letter she was given from principal JoAn Cook is the principal's way of telling her to keep her mouth shut about what's going on behind closed doors. 

"She told me that she did not appreciate me posting a story on Facebook or contacting the news," said Foreman. 

The letter stems from what Foreman said her second grade son had to do during a recess detention last week. 

A picture posted to Foreman's Facebook page shows her 7-year-old son Shane reenacting what she said was his "boot camp" style punishment for misbehaving on the school bus. 

"My daughter came home and said she saw him standing outside with his arms in the air," said Foreman. 

In the picture, the boy is shown holding two safety cones. Foreman said her son was forced to hold the position, arms-locked and staring into the sun, for 15 minutes. Foreman said he couldn't do it, giving up when he wiped some sweat off his forehead. 

Another Northside parent, John Bourgeois, said the same detention happened this year to both of his kids. 

"In the paperwork they send home stating that you have to sign that they can have recess detention, it doesn't state that they're going to torture your child," said Bourgeois. 

But Foreman and Bourgeois are lying, according to Livingston Superintendent John Watson. He said recess detention using cones happened last year with parental consent as an alternative to suspension, but it is not happening anymore. 

In a statement referring to Foreman's son, he said, "The student in question has not been required to hold cones as a result of recess detention." 

"He's fool of it. He's a flat out liar," said Bourgeois. 

About being banned from the school, Supt. Watson said Foreman cursed at and harassed Northside administration and staff, saying she did that multiple times. 

Foreman is now considering leaving Northside and having her son home-schooled. 

"Most people don't really have a problem with the punishment itself, just them lying about it and hiding the fact that they're doing it," said Foreman. 

Bourgeois is considering moving his children out of the school too, but first he is trying to organize a parent-teacher conference for Thursday morning. 

He also said that he is considering legal action against the school. 

Copyright 2015 WAFB. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly