WEST FELICIANA PARISH, LA (WAFB) - A burn advisory has been issued by the West Feliciana Parish fire chief for the area of the parish's Fire Protection District No. 1.
It is in effect from 12 p.m. Monday, October 12 until further notice. The advisory does not prohibit burning, but officials warn the public that "great caution should be used if burning is absolutely necessary."
In a release, Fire Chief James Wood said the current weather conditions in the parish added to the growing risk of fire.
Anyone planning to set any fires outside is warned to be careful.
Officials say the following precautions and notifications should be taken by any one planning to burn anything:
- Only burn small amounts at a time.
- Burn after 8 a.m. and extinguish before 6 p.m.
- Maintain a fire watch at all times. DO NOT leave the fire unattended.
- Cut extra fire lines around fires.
- Have water available for extinguishing spot fires.
- Always contact West Feliciana 911 Communications Center at 225-784-3136 before burning.
Officials warn that anyone who starts a fire is responsible for it, which includes criminally, citing that "even the unintentional burning of another's land is a chargeable offense under Louisiana Law."