BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - With cooler temperatures on the way, experts are warning people to think twice before lighting up a log in their fireplaces.
Experts recommend inspecting and cleaning chimneys first, especially for those who burn pine in them.
That is actually the worst kind of wood to use in a fireplace because harmful residue can build up on the inside of a chimney.
"That's when we have what we call a chimney fire. It actually lights up," said chimney sweep Michael Lombardino. "It will pull the air through the room into the fireplace and actually look like a Roman candle."
It is recommended that people get their chimneys inspected and cleaned at least once a year.