EBR Library begins campaign for renewal tax on October ballot - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

EBR Library begins campaign for renewal tax on October ballot

Source: WAFB Source: WAFB
Source: WAFB Source: WAFB
Source: WAFB Source: WAFB
BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) -

A tax dedicated to generating millions for the East Baton Rouge Parish Library is up for approval. The 11.1 library millage has been on the books for 30 years. On October 24, voters will be asked to renew the 10-year tax in order to continue funding the branches. 

The director of the system said one example of how they've spent taxpayer money is the Main Library on Goodwood Boulevard. It was built in 2014 with more technology to keep up with the demands of the community. 

Library Director Spencer Watts said, in the first year, the tax will generate $43 million. If voters renew the tax, it will work out to a little over $100 a year on a $160,000 home. 

Watt said the days of just being a place where people check out a book or two are over. The library has now become a place where people have meetings, come to study and where some teens hang out. While the newly renovated Main Branch can now handle those needs, Watts said several others need to be brought up to 21st Century standards. 

"We have seven renovations and expansions we'd like to start on with our older buildings over the next 10 years," said Watts. 

One of the branches on that list is the Jones Creek location. Watt said that building is 25 years old. 

They've discussed a completely new building, with similar features to that of the Main Library. The total cost would be just under $4 million. 

According to a packet from library staff, the tax would cover 5 percent of the construction costs, the other 95 percent would be used to cover daily operations such as salaries, utilities, upkeep and books. 

A former employee said people don't really need to leave their homes to utilize the library. 

"We have free downloadable books. You don't have to pay for them. We have movies you can stream, you don't have to have a Netflix subscription," said Emilie Smart. 

Some critics have said the library has too much money. But staffers say without the tax renewal passing, library services will be cut back until the system ceases to exist. 

Click here for more information on the millage.

Copyright 2015 WAFB. All rights reserved.

  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

  • Italy hunts for blame in bridge collapse that killed 39

    Italy hunts for blame in bridge collapse that killed 39

    Wednesday, August 15 2018 3:26 AM EDT2018-08-15 07:26:11 GMT
    Wednesday, August 15 2018 8:56 PM EDT2018-08-16 00:56:06 GMT
    (Vigili Del Fuoco via AP). In this photo released by the Italian firefighters, rescue teams work among the rubble of the collapsed Morando highway bridge in Genoa, northern Italy, Tuesday, Aug. 14, 2018. A bridge on a main highway linking Italy with Fr...(Vigili Del Fuoco via AP). In this photo released by the Italian firefighters, rescue teams work among the rubble of the collapsed Morando highway bridge in Genoa, northern Italy, Tuesday, Aug. 14, 2018. A bridge on a main highway linking Italy with Fr...

    Rescue and recovery efforts continued through the night into the morning in Italy following the collapse of a highway bridge in Genoa, while authorities raised the death toll to 35 with three missing.

    More >>

    Rescue and recovery efforts continued through the night into the morning in Italy following the collapse of a highway bridge in Genoa, while authorities raised the death toll to 35 with three missing.

    More >>
  • Four girls fight off attacker in MI

    Four girls fight off attacker in MI

    Wednesday, August 15 2018 12:24 PM EDT2018-08-15 16:24:50 GMT

    The girls used their drinks and fists to get an attacker to leave them alone after he grabbed the youngest girl by the face.

    More >>

    The girls used their drinks and fists to get an attacker to leave them alone after he grabbed the youngest girl by the face.

    More >>
  • Police use DNA to identify body of Michigan boy missing since 1979

    Police use DNA to identify body of Michigan boy missing since 1979

    Wednesday, August 15 2018 2:47 PM EDT2018-08-15 18:47:44 GMT

    Andrew Jackson Greer, 15, left school on Feb. 12, 1979, and never returned home. His remains were positively identified almost 40 years later.

    More >>

    Andrew Jackson Greer, 15, left school on Feb. 12, 1979, and never returned home. His remains were positively identified almost 40 years later.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly