BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - Is your new hunting season about to start? Have you made deer sausage, venison medallions, venison pot pies, venison everything-you-can-think-of and you still have a half-full freezer?
Hunters for the Hungry is coming to the rescue this weekend!
This Sunday for 1 to 4 p.m. there will be collections for local food banks at very convenient locations. The charity organization Hunters for the Hungry is hosting its annual "Clean Out Your Freezer Day."
Planners say they've collected more than 230,000 pounds of fish, game and other frozen entree items. They have a list of about 400 feed the hungry agencies across the state that happily take these donations for the poor.
So Anglers? Or do you prefer the name "Fishers?" Hunters... trappers? Look for coolers and a gathered group of honest Hunters waiting for you at several locations on Sunday afternoon
You can bring the items just in plastic grocery bags if you want. They will stick them in the freezer.
The Hunters for the Hungry will be at the following locations in several parishes
- The parking lot of LSU's Old Alex Box Stadium
- Baker Fire Department (3701 Groom Road)
- Baton Rouge Fire Departments (150 S. Wooddale Blvd. and 835 Sharp Road)
- Central Fire Department (11646 Sullivan Road)
- Bowie Outfitters (8630 Perkins Road)
- St. George Fire Departments (7027 Antioch Road and 16415 George O’Neal Lane)
- Zachary Fire Department (4525 Main Street)
- CCA of Louisiana (12241 Industriplex Blvd.)
- Cabela’s (I-10 and LA 30)
- Red Boot Deli (12430 Saint Helena St. in Clinton)
- Bass Pro Shop (I-12 and Range Avenue)
- Feliciana Seafood and Deli (7555 Hwy. 61 North)
- Exxon Station (St. Francisville)
- Grace Episcopal Church (11621 Ferdinand Street in St. Francisville)
- Spillway Sportsmen (Off LA 1 in Brusly)
So push, drag, carry them. Your freezer will be free for the new trophies you bring home from the hunt!