BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - Two more people have been arrested in connection with a deadly shooting in a parking lot believed to have been the result of an argument that started during a soccer game in July. The men were arrested Thursday morning after an investigation into multiple armed robberies of restaurants in Baton Rouge.
The investigation into the armed robberies of the two restaurants revealed Cesar Guerrero, 19, and Steven Ponce, 22, both of Baton Rouge, are accused of robbing La Fontera and La Patrona restaurants in Baton Rouge multiple times between August 1, 2015 and September 10, 2015. Both have been charged with four counts of armed robbery and attempted first degree murder, according to the Baton Rouge Police Department. Guerrero had an additional three counts of attempted first degree murder after allegedly shooting at restaurant employees during two separate robberies.
Detectives with the Baton Rouge Police Department armed robbery division contacted the East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff's Office that the two men possibly connected to a July homicide had been taken into custody in connection with multiple armed robberies in Baton Rouge.
During the interview with deputies with the East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff's Office, both Guerrero and Ponce admitted to being present at the crime scene on the night of a murder that happened on July 23, 2015.
According to the affidavit of probable cause, the shooting happened in the 8400 block of Bayou Fountain Avenue on July 23 around 10:30 p.m. When deputies arrived, one victim found lying in the grass of a parking lot suffering from multiple gunshot wounds. The victim was taken to the hospital, but died from his wounds on July 31.
The victim from the July shooting has been identified as 28-year-old Selvin Ruiz.
Francisco Molina, 21, of Baton Rouge, was arrested on August 18. He was booked into the parish prison on one count of first-degree murder, three counts of attempted first-degree murder, two counts of aggravated damage to property and one count of illegal use of a weapon. He remains behind bars. His bond is set at $625,000.
EBRSO reported Guerrero and Ponce admitted to being present at the shooting in July. They added Guerrero confessed to providing the gun used in the shooting, which BRPD detectives reportedly found Thursday, and that he admitted Ponce had driven them to the location without knowing what was going to happen and stayed in the car. The report stated Guerrero also told them Ponce was told what happened as they were driving off. It added the accused shooter was driven out of the area to avoid investigators.
During their investigation of the July shooting, detectives said they found evidence of multiple gun shots, including two vehicles hit by gunfire. Reports stated witnesses and victims told detectives there was an argument earlier that night between one of the victims and the shooter during a soccer game at a sports complex. The documents added witnesses identified Molina as a soccer player they'd known for a while.
The group said they returned home after the game and Molina allegedly later appeared from behind a fence and started shooting at them. Molina then ran off, according to the report. It also stated victims and witnesses identified Molina as the suspected shooter after deputies showed them a picture.
For the homicide, Guerrero and Ponce have been charged with three counts of principal to attempted first degree murder and one count of principal to first degree murder. They are both being held without bond.
The investigation is ongoing.