BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - The Capitol Region Planning Commission is kicking off their "Share the Road" campaign, aiming to keep the roads safe during the busy fall season.
Signs are being handed out to households and businesses in the Baton Rouge area reminding drivers of vital safety tips.
These tips include:
- Allow a three foot distance when passing bicyclists
- Maintain white lights on front and red lights on rear of bicycles when riding at night
- Share the road—bicyclists riding with traffic and obeying road rules and driving remembering that bikes are allowed use of the full lane
- Walk smart, crossing streets safely and walking against traffic
- Eyes on traffic, avoiding distractions of cell phone or music devices when walking and biking
- Staying alert at intersections and keeping a watchful eye on motorists turning in either direction.
"There have seen too many accidents occur because people are not watching out for everyone on the streets," said J.T. Sukits, CRPC's Transportation Alternatives Coordinator. "We wanted to provide a positive message that encourages people to practice safe habits regardless of their transportation choices."
Anyone who would like to display an 18"x24" Share the Road sign may get one by contacting Sukits at email@example.com.