Firefighters give dog oxygen to help with breathing after house - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

Firefighters give dog oxygen to help with breathing after house catches fire

File Photo File Photo
BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) -

All members of a family, including a four-legged one, are safe and well after their home caught fire Monday evening.

The Baton Rouge Fire Department reported it happened at a house on 77th Avenue just after 7:30 p.m.

Firefighters said they arrived to find smoke billowing from the home and had to use a special saw to cut the burglar bars so they could get inside.

Mark Miles with BRFD said no people were home at the time, but firemen found the family’s pet dog suffering from smoke inhalation. 

He added firefighters gave the dog oxygen to help it breathe and they said it was doing fine when they left.

Investigators said they believe the fire started in the living room due to an electrical short.

According to Miles, the fire caused heavy smoke damage to the home.

The Red Cross was called out to assist the family.

Copyright 2015 WAFB. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly