GONZALES, LA (WAFB) - A chemical spill caused an Ascension Parish School to close its doors for the remainder of the week.
The spill happened Tuesday afternoon at Ascension Christian High School.
School officials say a shelf containing some toxic chemicals fell down in one of the classrooms and the school had to be evacuated. The Department of Environmental Quality says it was a mercury spill that happened in a chemistry lab.
Hazmat crews are cleaning up the spill.
School officials say classes will resume Monday.