NAPOLEONVILLE, LA (WAFB) - A former Avoyelles Parish corrections officer is facing three years behind bars for helping an inmate escape, according to the 23rd Judicial District Attorney's Office.
48-year-old Michelle George was sentenced to three years for assisting escape and another three for malfeasance in office. The sentences are to be served concurrently.
She pleaded guilty to allowing an inmate out of a vehicle to buy drugs on March 26, 2015 while transporting them from the Avoyelles Parish Sheriff's Office to the Avoyelles Parish Corrections Center. That inmate, Felicia Daigle, ran off but was later caught, hiding in her former residence.
In her initial statement of the event, George stated that Daigle opened the door of prison transport vehicle and ran from the van as George slowed down after noticing the vehicle needed gas.
George was arrested on April 1 after an investigation into the inmate's escape showed George drove the van to a known drug area, let Daigle out to purchase drugs and also allowed another inmate she was transporting to go search for Daigle.
George can get out of prison after 18 months as long as she meets certain conditions:
- Serves eighteen months in the Department of Corrections on each count to run concurrently
- Upon release, George be placed on supervised probation for three years and pay a monthly probation and supervision fee totaling $71.00
- Report to a probation officer within 48 hours after the completion of her incarceration
- Refrain from any criminal conduct
- Makes full and truthful statements monthly
- Meets specified family responsibilities
- Keep regular appointments with her parole officer
- A probation officer is permitted to visit George’s home
- Retains approved employment
- Refrains from owning firearms or any dangerous weapon
- Refrains from frequenting unlawful or disreputable places or consorts with disreputable people
- Remains within the jurisdiction of the court
- Devote herself to an approved reading program
- Submit to medical, psychiatric, mental health and/or substance abuse examinations or treatment when deemed appropriate
- Agrees to searches of her property, including her residence, vehicle and/or personal effects at any time