Fire causes scare at Baton Rouge senior living center - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

Fire causes scare at Baton Rouge senior living center

Source: WAFB Source: WAFB
BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) -

Many residents at a senior living center in Baton Rouge were forced to evacuate after a dryer unit caught fire before 7 p.m. Monday. 

St. George Fire officials said none of the 93 residents at the Sunrise Assisted Living Center on Siegen Lane were hurt. 

One staff member suffered from smoke inhalation and was treated on site by EMS. 

"The fire began and was limited to the laundry area," said Eldon Ledoux, spokesman for the St. George Fire Department. 

The call came in around 6:49 p.m., and crews arrived on scene within 5 minutes. The fire was under control in less than half an hour, leaving little damage. 

"The sprinkler system really knocked the fire down and stopped it from spreading beyond that point of origin. This is where sprinkler systems save lives," said Ledoux. 

Many seniors were evacuated from the building. Others stayed inside behind fire doors with fire crew supervision. 

 Copyright 2015 WAFB. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly